Office White Lies: What Employees Tell Their Bosses & Why

Posted on 06:45 by

Everyone tells a white lie on occasion, it’s just a question of why.  Some white lies save relationships, some ease a hectic situation, and others buy us time.  The list could go on forever.
Stretching the truth is a natural component of human instinct because it’s the easy way out.  We all do it, so there is no reason to deny it.
Here are some common lies that Kenyans will often tell their bosses and why we tell them:
1. I will be coming in ‘10 minutes’ am just stuck in the ‘traffic jam’  – Because it sounds a lot better than 30 minutes.
2. Am going for’ burial’, dentist, sick off etc – Because saying you are attending a job interview is a ‘crime’ that warrants you getting sacked.
3. I thought I ‘already’ sent that email out.  I’m sure I did – Because telling you that it was a low priority and I forgot would probably hurt our relationship.
4. Yeah, I’ll start working on that ‘ASAP!’ – Because telling your boss that you have 10 things to do first would just irritate him or her.
5. It wasn’t me! – Because some things just aren’t worth taking credit for; especially when one does not want to take responsibility for stupid mistakes.
6. Oh, yeah.  That makes ‘sense’ – Because option B involves admitting that I am clueless. Most employees will say this just to show they are on the same page with their bosses.
7. No, sir/ madam… I have no idea how fast I was going – Because claiming ignorance is sometimes better than admitting to insubordination. You do not want to give your boss grounds to fire you.
8. ‘Thank you’ so much! – Imagine your boss reprimanding you in a meeting then you just say ‘thank you.’ Is it genuine?  Because telling your boss that s/he made you look stupid in front of other colleague’s sucks.
9. Yes, I was with her in the meeting yesterday – Because that’s what friends do… we agree and ask questions later. This is normally a cover up for colleagues.
As long as we aren’t hurting others or breaking the law, these innocent lies can make life more pleasant.  They can absorb potential friction between our varying personalities and vacillating moods as we nudge into one another on the quest through our daily routine.

SOURCE: career point
Tags :

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

search form