ENTREPRENEURS WATCH: Failure is a crucial part of entrepreneur James Panaito’s success

Posted on 16:29 by


“I have started more than 50 businesses. Most of
them have failed, but I have learned a lot,” says
James Panaito, a 29-year old Kenyan entrepreneur.
From a young age, Panaito always thought up new
ideas to solve problems and figured that going into
employment would limit his ability to implement
those ideas.

Panaito told How we made it in Africa that he
dropped out of university because he felt studying to
become an architect was “wasting lots of my time”.
“I really wanted to make money,” he says. “I want to
create an empire.”

Panaito’s string of failed businesses include a dance
school and an office lunch delivery enterprise which
he believes were not successful because he lacked
skills and passion in both fields. But he has no
regrets for his many failed attempts.

“What I have learned cannot be taught at any school
because I have had real experience.”
Today Panaito runs several successful businesses in
technology, photography, education and real estate.
His first successful venture was building websites in
2006 when technology adoption among Kenyans was
just gaining ground.

“I found out that most of the problems I wanted to
solve depended on IT so I decided to venture into
that. I needed KSh. 40,000 (US$465) for capital. I
managed to convince my mum who is a teacher to
take a loan. She really believed in me.”

Panaito rented a one-roomed house made of iron
sheeting in a low income estate in Nairobi, bought a
laptop, began taking classes online and eventually
honed his skills in computer programming. Confident
that he was ready to start working, Panaito printed
out posters advertising his services. A few weeks
later he got his first client who needed a website.

“After that, work starting flowing in. In one month I
had more than 10 clients and made about KSh.
500,000 ($5,800). I volunteered to build a website for
the Ministry of Foreign Affairs which opened more
government jobs. By the end of the year I had
worked with six government ministries.”

Eventually Panaito worked with the World Bank on its
business licensing portal, opening the gates for more
work across the region.
“I love technology because I see myself as a problem
solver. I go into an organisation and observe how
they operate then look for ways to use IT to enhance
their service delivery and enable them to work less
and earn more.”

With constant work and money flowing in from his IT
business, Panaito decided to invest in his other
passion, photography. He bought a studio in Nairobi,
now known as Panaito Photography, invested in
equipment and hired a team of young photographers
to work with him.

“Through photography I get to meet people from all
walks of life and we easily interact. So, I use it to
expand my networks which create more business
opportunities.”
More ideas to implement
Panaito says he plans to open a photography school
to train more young people who are interested in the
trade. He is also launching a fashion enterprise and
a stock photo site.

“Currently advertising agencies are relying on images
from Shutterstock and Getty Images. I believe if
these images can be made available here in Africa
people will buy them.”
Panaito says diversity in business is good and he
intends to open more enterprises.
“I see myself as a businessman who thinks outside
the box and who intends to use technology to
automate and to make money while seated.”

A hustler Panaito is thankful for his humble start and values
the lessons he has acquired along the way.
“I started from zero, sleeping on the floor. I used to
walk to town looking for work and would spend time
sleeping at Uhuru Park thinking about ideas. But the
good thing is I know how to start from scratch. If
you put me in South Africa I will survive, if you put
me in Sudan I will survive. PhD graduates don’t have
the experience I have. I know how to hustle.”

The major challenge Panaito faces is accessing good
talent.
“I wish I could clone myself. Getting skilled people is
not easy. I have unique needs that have not been
tested elsewhere,” he says. “I also have so many
ideas and I can’t kick-start all of them. I have so
many pending ideas that need to be executed. I
have found that as I delay execution other people
start the very same business I was thinking of. I am
planning to build groups that can manage some of
the ideas and execute.”

The young entrepreneur advises the youth in Africa
to find a team that can help them grow.
“Associate with people who make you better, people
who inspire you and people who tell you your
strengths,” he adds. “You should never rest on your
laurels because competition gets tougher every day.
Always try to be the best in what you do. You don’t
need everything to get started. You only need what
you already have and the rest will be provided by
the people around you.”

Panaito argues that Africa’s growing middle class is
creating opportunities in various sectors that can be
exploited by forward thinking entrepreneurs .
“I believe there is demand. We should not have
more than 10% unemployment rate in any country in
Africa. There are so many streets to be cleaned,
there is grass to be cut, there is demand for African
music and fashion… it is up to us to seize the
opportunities.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

search form